Spring is finally in evidence as daffodils and flowering trees start to bloom. Expect the inevitable April showers this month but with sunny days too, this is the ideal gardening month when you can turn your attention to the lawn. It’s an exciting month, with indoor-sown seeds well into growth.
6 things to do in the garden now
1. Ensure you allow adequate ventilation in the greenhouse for indoor grown seeds and don’t over-water.
2. Start sowing outdoors such as sweet peas, cosmos and early vegetables. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast for frost warnings.
3. It’s time to lightly scarify, top dress and over-seed bald patches with a hard-wearing grass seed mix. This will germinate at a quick rate and establish a good lawn before summer.
4. Protect fruit blossom from frost. This will allow early pollination and a good fruit set.
5. Tie in rambling roses and climbing shrubs while putting on new growth.
6. Apply a bone meal feed to hungry plants such as roses and evergreen shrubs. This will promote good healthy growth and full flowers.
Our recommended plant of the month is wisteria x floribunda alba- a stunning spring flowering climber full of colour and scent